As a marketer, entrepreneur and store owner, you need to know certain things to ensure you’re spending your resources and time on things that can deliver you the highest return on investment (ROI).
With over 2 billion active social media users worldwide, you simply can’t afford to ignore this marketing channel if you hope to grow your online business.
Social media marketing statistics may show things you’d rather ignore, but accepting the truth and adapting your marketing efforts to the current social sphere will help you with branding and positioning yourself as a leader in your chosen industry.
Intuition is one thing, but hard data is another. It’s easy to fall into the trap of “I like it this way” and just apply personal preferences to your marketing campaigns.
Being a smart marketer means you must analyze social media marketing statistics and facts to better prepare your strategy, increase engagement and increase sales as well as a customer lifetime value (CLTV).
This article features 25 valuable social media marketing statistics and facts you need to know today.
If you still think spending resources and effort on social media marketing is a waste of time and money, think again. Social networks are bigger than ever and with continued rapid growth it seems as if everyone on earth will soon be connected.
Check out these mind-blowing numbers about global social media users on various platforms:
- There are almost 2.1 billion active social media accounts worldwide (Cloudswave).
- The majority of social media users are women at 71% versus men at 62% (Cloudswave).
- Facebook has 1.71 billion monthly active users as of June 30, 2016 (Facebook).
Refine your target audience
Knowing your customer is one of the basic business lessons so many entrepreneurs fail to learn. Making assumptions won’t take you far if you end up engaging the wrong audience or getting false feedback in the form of lots of likes and views but no conversions. The facts below can help you in researching and understanding your target audience and its behavior:
- People aged 55-64 are more than twice as likely to engage with branded content than those aged 28 or younger (Social Media Today).
- 42% of all online women use Pinterest (Pew Research Center).
Visual content is king
If you are not selling enough, then you may not be making the best use of powerful visuals. Visual content portrays emotions and helps you create stronger desire in your customers. The old saying really is true: A picture is worth a thousand words.
- Visual content is more than 40X more likely to get shared on social media than other types of content (Buffer).
- Shopify users referred by Pinterest spend an average of $80 compared to the Facebook referral average of $40 (Jeff Bullas).
Surprising facts you wouldn’t expect
With lots of buzz around Snapchat and instant messaging, you might expect high ROI and success stories from marketers. Surprisingly, only 5% of marketers use Snapchat. Sure, Gary V is crushing it, but what about the rest of us? Is it worth investing your time in learning it? Is Instagram a better choice?
- Despite the rise of Instagram adoption among young adults, it was the least adopted social channel in most retail categories, with adoption rates ranging from 26% to 32% (MediaPost).
- 5% of marketers use Snapchat. 28% of marketers want to learn more about Snapchat (Oracle).
Facebook is going strong
Facebook is growing the biggest empire in human history. Thanks to their smart investments in WhatsApp and Instagram, Facebook is clearly winning the social media game. No matter your product, target audience or strategy, you cannot afford to ignore Facebook, which has it all: Video, photos, filters, networks, connections, data, ads; you name it, Facebook has it in spades.
The numbers below reveal the numbers of Facebook’s domination:
- 55% of marketers say Facebook is their most important network (Oracle).
- 95.8% of social media marketers worldwide say Facebook produces the best ROI (eMarketer).
- Facebook Messenger and WhatsApp handle 60 billion messages a day (The Guardian).
- Instagram has grown to more than 500 million users — more than 300 million of whom use Instagram every single day (Instagram).
Reach more millennials
It’s a smart strategy to target millennials and learn how to market to this growing and soon to be the biggest demographic in the world with the largest buying force on the globe. Millennials are hard to predict, but the numbers below will give you an idea of what might work:
- On any given day, Snapchat reaches 41% of all 18 to 34 year-olds in the United States (Snapchat).
- 91% of millennials (15-34 year olds) use Facebook (Expanded Ramblings).
- On average, Snapchatters play with a Sponsored Lens for 20 seconds (Snapchat).
- When it comes to communicating with businesses, 33% of millennials prefer using social media over any other channel (Marketing Sherpa).
Conversion optimisation might sound like a boring task, but it’s highly rewarding. Increasing your conversion rate using social media will instantly boost your revenue and allow you to grow faster without allocating more resources to expansion. Sometimes, simple things such as including a call-to-action as a link can lead to huge wins:
- 46% of all users will use their social media tool of choice to make an online purchase (Cloudswave).
- Link clicks account for 92% of all user interaction with tweets (HubSpot).
- 91% of retail brands use 2 or more social media channels (SocialTimes).
Video gets more attention than TV
Television’s golden days are long gone. People now demand high-quality interactive content, and the Internet has more diversity than all TV networks combined. After seeing the numbers below, you might want to start planning your scripts for video campaigns:
- YouTube overall, and even YouTube just on mobile, reaches more 18-34 and 18-49 year-olds than any cable network in the US (YouTube).
- Shoppers who view video are 1.81X more likely to purchase than non-viewers (Adobe).
- Syndacast predicts 74% of all Internet traffic in 2017 will be video (Syndacast).
Facebook has enormous amounts of data you can use to target people who could become your customers. Leverage the full power of Facebook and stop focusing on vanity metrics such as likes and followers:
- 86% of marketers use Facebook ads regularly (Oracle).
- 83% of B2C companies say sales are the most important content marketing goal, while 85% of B2B companies say lead generation is a top priority in terms of goals (Content Marketing Institute).
Social media marketing really isn’t rocket science, but understanding it can become very complex as you might be assuming one thing when the data shows something completely different.
The next time you are struggling with making a strategy, refer to the kinds of social media marketing statistics listed above to help you make the right decision and save you time and effort.
Want to learn more?
- How to Create a Killer Social Media Marketing Plan
- 20 Social Media Marketing Apps to Grow Your eCommerce Business
- 15 Ways to Increase Social Media Engagement Quickly
- Instagram Marketing Strategy: All The Secrets You Need to Know About
Is there anything else you’d like to know more about and wish was included in this article? Let us know in the comments below!